If you want to learn to grow marijuana from the masters then you should check out the best marijuana grow book or grow guides. With the best guide, you’ll find time-tested techniques, the most trusted tips, and methods, and personal accounts of cannabis growing. We have five of the best grow books of all time, ready to inspire you to start growing your supply at home.
Top 5 Marijuana Growing Books
1. Growing Elite Marijuana Book by Ryan Riley
“Growing Elite Marijuana” by Ryan Riley is one of the most popular books about growing weed despite appearing online less than five years ago. This book was created by a self-made expert cannabis grower who has rich experience in growing all kinds of cannabis. Riley wants to share his experiences and his skills to equip first-time growers with the most trusted growing tips and techniques.
Lovely colorful photos
The massive success of “Growing Elite Marijuana” is also because of its colorful pictures and illustrations which appeal to almost all readers. Visual learners most especially, are able to learn better when they check out step-by-step tips and processes with colorful images. This is especially true when it comes to checking the gender of cannabis plants and harvest readiness.
For first-time growers
The content is simple, easy to understand and this is true even for beginner growers. Because the content is so practical and the photos are colorful, this guide is easy to digest and therefore, good help for any recreational or medicinal cannabis grower.
Lacks downloadable content
Ryan Riley has had massive success with “Growing Elite Marijuana” however, there is some content in the downloadable or Kindle version that were not present in the hardcopy version. But despite this flaw, this marijuana grow book remains a good find for any first-time cannabis grower.
- Author – Ryan Riley
- Date Released – December 1, 2016
- Publication Type – Paperback and hardcover
- Number of Pages – 516 pages
- Publisher Name – Infinity Publishing
- Language – English
- Unique Features – Comes with illustrations and growing pictures, ideal for first-time growers
- Beginners find this easy to understand
- With colorful pictures and illustrations
- You can order in paperback or hardcover
- Some complaints that this lacked some downloadable content
- Some readers say that the information is easy to Google
2. Marijuana Horticulture: Indoor & Outdoor by Jorge Cervantes
As mentioned before, having colorful photographs in a marijuana grow book is a great way to help visual learners. The book “Marijuana Horticulture” by Jorge Cervantes has been one of the most popular among beginner growers because of its stunning color photographs. The book on our list is the fifth revised edition which means that the author constantly updates his work to accommodate new cannabis growing information.
Great updated information
“Marijuana Horticulture” is packed with amazing information about cannabis growing, germination, indoor and outdoor growing, and so many more. It is widely accepted all over the world and in fact, it may be one of the most printed guide books as it has versions in German, Dutch, Spanish, French, and English.
Outdoor and greenhouse growing guide
The most current edition has a total of 17 chapters with a section on growing outdoors and inside a greenhouse. Also, there is a dedicated section for cultivating medicinal cannabis. You will also notice that the content is quite easy to understand as the author has made tips, steps, and techniques easy to digest especially for beginners.
Also for intermediate growers
And if you’re an intermediate grower, this book will also help you find new techniques and tips. The author keeps the content fresh, updated, and ready to access all kinds of growers. It could be the marijuana guide book you have been looking for.
- Author – Jorge Cervantes
- Date Released – February 1, 2006
- Publication Type – Kindle, paperback, and spiral-bound book
- Number of Pages – 512 pages
- Publisher Name – Van Patten Publishing (5th revised edition)
- Language – English
- Unique Features – with colorful pictures, greenhouse growing information
- Comes with updated information especially about greenhouse growing
- You can order in Kindle form, paperback, or spiral-bound form
- Easy to understand especially for beginner learners
- Complaints that this book has too much info to digest
- The book is too large to carry
3. The Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green
“The Cannabis Grow Bible” features steps and techniques to help you grow all kinds of cannabis including recreational and medicinal weed. The author, Greg Green, has created an easy to read, easy to follow guide. The book is already in its third edition and this means that Green regularly updates the content.
Experienced dedicated author
Green is one of the most popular authors and growing guides as he has traveled to many countries and regions in search of more information about cannabis growing. He has an advanced degree in Botany as well as horticulture and these he uses to come up with expert content applicable to all readers.
Step by step instructions
If you’re new to growing cannabis then it’s best to learn using a step-by-step, well-organized manner and this is what Green has done in this book. You can read it cover to cover if you wish or you can simply browse different sections or pages to find the information you need at the moment.
“The Cannabis Grow Bible” latest edition has more than 200 pages of updated information. You can bet that future editions will contain more tips, tricks, and guides and will likely be longer and more comprehensive. It is currently one of the most highly-recommended guides about cannabis growing but sadly, it is only available in paperback.
- Author – Greg Green
- Date Released – August 8, 2017
- Publication Type – paperback
- Number of Pages – 720 pages
- Publisher Name – Green Candy Press (3rd edition)
- Language – English
- Unique Features – step-by-step instructions, colorful photos
- Very easy to read and understand
- Comes with lively photos and illustrations
- All you need about growing in one book
- Only in paperback form, no Kindle form
- Complaints that there were so many topics but were hard to find
4. Ed Rosenthal’s Marijuana Grower’s Handbook
“Marijuana Grower’s Handbook” is one of the most popular cannabis growing guide as it contains detailed and scientific information about cannabis cultivation. It was written by an experienced grower and has been published many times in different languages.
Created by an expert
Ed Rosenthal is a pioneer in cannabis growing and has been teaching marijuana growers from all walks of life for three decades. “Marijuana Grower’s Handbook” was created from Rosenthal’s personal experience and vast knowledge about cannabis cultivation. You will find page upon page of meaty information including color photographs, easy to understand illustrations and all kinds of interesting content which will surely help all forms of cannabis growers.
All updated information
“Marijuana Grower’s Handbook” is indeed an easy handbook for the traditional and modern cannabis grower. It is filled with important, helpful information about all the aspects of marijuana growing are included choosing the ideal strains, starting your garden, cultivation from every stage, and finally, harvesting.
Possible updates in the future
This book is Rosenthal’s revised, special edition and this comes with 510 pages of unlimited information. However, there are readers that find the book too much as aside from the colorful photos, it is also loaded with scientific techniques about marijuana growing. Readers who rely on practical techniques are less likely to rely on this guide while those who want to find out the scientific knowledge about growing will commend this book.
If you are a visual grower or if you love to find out about the scientific side of growing cannabis then Ed Rosenthal’s book could be the cannabis guide you have been looking for.
- Author – Ed Rosenthal
- Date Released – June 8, 2010
- Publication Type – spiral-bound form, Kindle and paperback
- Number of Pages – 510 pages
- Publisher Name – Quick American Archives (special edition)
- Language – English
- Unique Features – info about recreational and medicinal cannabis, colorful photos, scientific techniques about growing cannabis
- Easy to read and understand
- For beginner and experienced growers
- Stunning photos for the visual learner
- With updated information about medicinal and recreational cannabis
- Complaints that it has poor practical techniques and only scientific growing methods
5. A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Marijuana by Danny Danko
Every successful cannabis grower started as a thriving beginner. Nowadays, beginner growers are lucky to have guides, grow bibles, and techniques just like “Cannabis: A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Marijuana.” This guidebook is easy to read, only 144 pages and thus, it’s light, easy to take anywhere.
Short but complete
“Cannabis: A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Marijuana” is easy to use, a very accessible guide is just 144 pages but it’s packed with all the information you will need to grow cannabis successfully. The content is well illustrated, and covers all the information about growing room setup, germination, seeds genetics, sexing, growing dense and big buds, weed harvesting, and dealing with molds, pests, and nutrient deficiencies.
A section about cannabis products
This guide book also has a section about how to create cannabis products such as cannabis edibles, tinctures, concentrates, and cannabis topicals. You will also find updated tips on how to use these products.
All about strains and genetics
The author also focuses on the most important part of learning how to grow cannabis: identifying strains and the genetic background of each strain. By learning the basics, you can pretty much identify other factors such as the potency, aroma, flowering time, flavors, and many more.
Danny Denko is a High Times editor and is behind “Cannabis: A Beginner’s Guide to Growing Marijuana.” He has inspired many people and has helped so many readers find their way around cannabis cultivation. Aside from sharing his knowledge and skills, Denko also provides information regarding cannabis sowing, growing, and keeping weed plants.
Denko provides updated information about updated cannabis growing techniques like cloning, plant growing area setup, about motherplants, and so many more.
- Author – Danny Danko
- Date Released – September 1, 2018
- Publication Type – Kindle and paperback
- Number of Pages – 144 pages
- Publisher Name – Hampton Roads Publishing
- Language – English
- Unique Features – with entry-level information about cannabis growing, cannabis growing tips for every stage
- Ideal for first-time growers
- The author has more than 30 years of growing experience
- Has all the information from germination to harvesting
- Complaints that the tips are too short
Almost all growing books on our list are made for beginner growers and thus, are easy to understand with techniques and steps easy to follow. We recommend that you consider a grow book according to your needs. If you don’t want a heavy book to carry around, you can also switch from a hardcopy to a downloadable copy like Kindle (if you have a Kindle to view files).
We can also guarantee that all these guide books were created by professionals who want to share their vast knowledge about cannabis. So if you’re looking for a well-written guide with plenty of juicy growing information then we recommend any or all of these books as well.
Also, choose a guide book available in the latest edition. As with all guide books, the latest edition is the most updated one and contains the most updated information regarding cannabis. Although cannabis growing is a very straightforward thing to do, more and more information about growing is now published as more and more people are trying out their luck on cannabis cultivation.
We also stress that you must consider a book with a lot of coloring pages as opposed to a plain book with boring content. If you are a visual learner then take time to find one with images instructions and for downloadable content, check out videos, links, and step by step techniques as these can greatly enhance the way you understand this important content.
Good luck in cultivating your cannabis plants and don’t forget to do your research to get the latest and the most important information about cannabis growing.