Cannabis cultivation is an art, and quality soil is one of the key ingredients of this masterpiece. The right soil mix can nurture your cannabis plants, providing them with essential nutrients and creating the most conducive environment for their growth. This article will guide you through the process of crafting your own organic soil, also known as ‘super soil’, for cannabis cultivation.
Understanding the Basics
The primary advantage of organic soil is that it fully equips cannabis plants with all the necessary nutrients, eliminating the need for additional fertilizers or plant food. This technique, called ‘super soil’, was coined by notable cannabis cultivator Subcool, and allows plants to feed as needed across their lifecycle, reducing the risk of over- or under-nourishment.
Organic soil enhances microbial life, promoting better nutrient absorption, improving plants’ immune response, and resulting in vigorous, healthy growth.
The Recipe: Ingredients for Super Soil
Creating super soil is a bit like baking a cake; you need the right ingredients in proper quantities mixed together precisely. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Base Soil: Make up half of your mixture using high-quality organic potting soil.
- Compost and Worm Castings: These contribute to the bulk of the organic matter that improves soil structure and provides slow-release nutrients.
- Perlite or Pumice: These lightweight volcanic rocks help with water retention and improve soil aeration.
- Bone Meal and Blood Meal: High in phosphorus and nitrogen, they promote healthy growth and root development.
- Epsom Salts and Dolomite Lime: They correct pH imbalances and provide essential nutrients magnesium and calcium.
- Bat Guano and Fish Bone Meal: An excellent source of macro and micronutrients.
- Kelp and Alfalfa Meal: They enrich the soil with a range of nutrients and natural plant growth hormones.
The Method: Mixing Your Super Soil
Follow these simple steps:
- Combine: In a large container or directly on a tarp, combine all ingredients thoroughly. Ensure that the mixture is consistent and that there are no clumps.
- Moisten: Sprinkle water lightly over your mixture as you blend, aiming for the consistency of a moist sponge. Avoid making the mixture waterlogged or muggy.
- Cure: Let the mixture rest for 1-2 weeks to allow the ingredients to ‘cook’ or interact. This curing period is essential for breaking down nutrients into a form that the cannabis plants can readily absorb.
- Store: Store the soil in a large, covered container. Make sure the super soil stays moist and is stirred occasionally during the curing period.
- Test: Before using, test the pH level. It should ideally be close to neutral.
- Use: Fill your planting containers with a mix of about 1/3 super soil and 2/3 regular, non-fortified potting soil. Plant your cannabis seeds or seedlings directly into this and watch them thrive!
Creating your own organic super soil provides control over what your cannabis plants consume. It reduces the reliance on synthetic fertilizers and creates an environment that closely mimics the natural soil where cannabis thrives. Remember, patience is key, as super soil needs time to ‘cook’. However, the wait is worth the effort when you see your healthy, robust cannabis plants produce high-quality yields.